Saturday, February 02, 2013

Back-to-back Cultural Tours

It's only been the first month of 2013, and I've been physically and mentally exhausted. Obviously doing these tours and visits for school requirements, I along with some of my blockmates went to Intramuros for a Hispanic tour last January 30 and went to UST Museum the next day for a pre-colonial documentation.

Tour 1: Intramuros, beyond its walls

Fort Santiago is very well known as the military camp of the Spaniards during the Hispanic period. Big changes were done in terms of the structural designs inside Intramuros. Unfortunately, it has not been preserved well by the government and different forms of vandalism were done to the establishments.

San Agustin Church
These tombstones are seen inside the church, and serve as a flooring also.



This lagoon found in the golf course area of Intramuros used to me a moat where the Spanish soldiers kept their cannons and other military devices.

Intricate designs found in Chinese altar tables
"Pina"
The San Agustin Church: top-view
Earthquake baroque architectural style is known for using buttresses as support for structures.



TOUR 2: UST Museum

Surprisingly, it was my first time to go to the University of Santo Tomas (I know, it's embarrassing). I was so happy to finally enter this university and got so upset that I didn't even take the college entrance exam here because UST's ambience is so nice! I have to say I've been deprived from studying in a big, cultural-inspired looking university. It makes me sad. :(

Fast forward.
Main agenda: I never knew that UST had a museum until the time that we had to make a pre-colonial collection documentation. The set-up of their museum was good, not great; collection data was surprisingly not enough. Unfortunately, I was not even able to talk to the curator-in-charge of the displays so I had no chance of learning more about the items found inside.

What I loved most about the museum is their animal collection. It was life-like. I loved it!






Also found in the UST musuem are collections of contemporary paintings by various artists.




No comments:

Post a Comment